One of ASA's most important and far-reaching services is our Legal Support program. Under this program, we:
- staff a legal hotline to provide assistance and legal information to people who have had law enforcement encounters;
- provide legal trainings - both "Know Your Rights" trainings and workshops for attorneys to learn how to defend medical marijuana patients;
- create and distribute educational matierials for patients and dispensaries, such as our Legal Manual;
- provide information and resources to assist with housing, employment discrimination, child custody, and other issues;
- provide information and resources for attorneys, such as our brief bank, case law collection, research into local dispensary regulations, and consulting on legal issues;
- help people recover their medicine and other property that has been confiscated by law enforcement; and
- coordinate grassroots support for ongoing cases.
ASA is tracking medical marijuana criminal cases so that we can determine trends and wage effective legal battles for peoples' right to access their medicine. If you have had an encounter with law enforcement, please let us know about it by calling ASA's Legal Services Coordinator at 510-251-1856 or emailing email@example.com.
Court support is also part of ASA's Legal Department. Grassroots support at trial and other court appearances can be critical in defending the rights of people to access medical marijuana. See the Take Action page to learn about effective court support and Upcoming Court Dates for pending federal cases which need your support!